On Saturday, August 9, Community Baptist Church held its annual community fair bring hope and light to our community in ways that make a difference. This event includes bouncy castles, displays, community information, etc. to all who attend. This year, the Church combined their fair with the efforts of Hudson Health Plan and the Yonkers Family YMCA combined second annual Bike Rodeo. The Bike Rodeo is an opportunity to give away free new and used bikes to children, provide safety advice about bike riding (thank you Yonkers Police Department!), and drive through a bicycle challenge course. More than 200 children took the bicycle challenge course after getting their safety information.
A special thank you to Ian Gray who assisted the YMCA in operating the bicycle challenging course.
Riding a bike is a great way to stay healthy. Many people joining cycling classes, join bike clubs, and participate in other bicycle activities that strengthen heir health. Chris Giblin gave us 10 reasons for getting on a bike in Men’s Fitness for National Bike Safety Month:
1. Get out there and take advantage of a nice day.
2. You’ll look forward to doing it.
3. It’s much easier on your legs, ankles, knees and feet than running.
4. It’s a better time than ever for cyclists.
5. It’s a legitimate method of transportation.
6. It’s an activity you’ll be able to do the rest of your life.
7. It can reduce stress.
8. You can do it for charity, much like a 5K or 10K run.
9. Exploring and really getting to know the area around you better.
10. For your sense of freedom and above all, for fun.